Spring is on the way

Posted by Arbor House NC Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Sore muscles this morning attest to the fact that spring can't be far away because yesterday was a garden clean up day.  It's work now but this spring , summer and fall the gardens are so pretty and provide such enjoyment to all the guest. The spring bulbs are showing lots of green and soon we will have flowers where the bare spots are now.

The gold finches are starting to turn a lighter yellow and we have spotted a few yellow rump warblers in the tree by the deck. The blue birds are cleaning out the houses and the Carolina wrens are starting to sing. Yesterday I saw a male and female towhee under the bird feeders gathering up any seeds that fell.
Duck activity is picking up and the male and female wood ducks are flying up to the bare branches to check out the duck houses. It is going to be a stand off  between the owl and the duck to see who claims the duck house by my art studio.The owl has lived in the house all winter and may not want to give it up.

We are going to check out the Black Mountain golf course on Thursday to see if I can remember how to hit a golf ball.  The 17th hole is not my favorite. It is a par 6 , 745 yards for the guys and of course I get a break on the ladies tee but still I get my iron practice on that hole just getting to the green which to make things worse is on a hill side slope with water down the left side.  Who invited this silly game of golf  any way trying to put that tiny little white ball in a small hole in only 3, 4  or 5 strokes. At least when I garden I see some results.
The Black Mountain course is open to the public so bring your golf clubs when you come and give it a try.  I find my feet feel better in hiking boots and that is something I can talk about.